Astronaut photo shows ominous Tropical Storm Barry picking up steam
Get the Full StorySpace station astronaut Christina Koch snapped a photo of Tropical Storm Barry on Thursday afternoon, as the developing storm headed for the Louisiana coast and its vulnerable city New Orleans.
The National Weather Service expects the storm to grow into a Category 1 hurricane by Saturday, with winds of around 75 mph. The short-lived storm won't have a chance to develop into a Hurricane Michael-like beast with 155 mph winds, but the tempest will still bring serious threats to both southern Louisiana and Mississippi in the form of pummeling rains.
"Any hurricane that hits you is a major hurricane for you," said Mark Davis, the head of the Tulane Institute on Water Law and Policy in New Orleans. "A slow-moving, rain-producing storm can be every bit as damaging as a major hurricane." Read more...More about Science, Extreme Weather, Hurricanes, Tropical Storm, and Tropical Storm Barry
- Ah a man of culture
- Nolte: HBO's Trolling of Conservatives with 'Euphoria' Is a Ratings Disaster
- Billionaire Democrat Donor Blasts 'Disaster Zone' Bernie Sanders, 'Misinformed' Ocasio-Cortez
- ServiceNow BrandVoice: Let Caregivers Be Caregivers
- Suspect arrested in murder of California adult book store clerk during armed robbery
- Trump Has Backed Down On Adding A Citizenship Question To The 2020 Census
- Trump, 'not backing down' in effort to count citizens amid census fight, announces executive order
- Hemingway: Who Will Clean Up America's Voter Rolls?
- Jim Bouton Was Baseball s Misunderstood Evangelist
- Today in obvious news: Legal weed puffs up snack sales